Saturday 23 March 2013

Bad Poetry Day

I read the christmas annual from the Black Country Bugle and thought the poetry in here is poor I should have ago. So I did here is my first attempt:



Wolverhampton – All Change

Nick Matthews

(With apologies to John Betjeman)

Past new student flats, so spick and span,
Against an unencumbered sky,
The Old Great Western Railway ran
When someone different was I.

Springfield bitter now does not flow
From Butlers Brewery tap
Drinkers looking to get the glow,
Use elsewhere ale to fill the gap.

St Georges where the Matin’s bell,
No longer rings. Drowned out by
Supermarket tills. A shopping hell?
Or heaven with plenty for you to buy.

Mander tower marks the spot
Where inks and paint did flow
Today in the mall get your caffeine shot
To recover from another retail blow.

Then the Molineux, the pleasure ground,
You stood behind the goal up at the back
Feeling the crowds sway and sound
Come on you Wolves the old gold and black.

The work benches are all empty now
At Chubbs great red brick pile
Ask and they will tell you how
They kept us locked and safe in style.

The only thing that does not change
St Peter’s proud upon the hill
The tiles spick and flowers arranged
A place loved and tended still.

Wolverhampton all change!
Comes the cry from an unencumbered sky,
Over old Great Western rails I did range,
Now homeward bound am I.

If you are familiar with John  Betjeman you will recognize his poem a Distant View of a Provincial Town which I think is based on a trip to Swindon! Anyway its not brill but the Bugle liked it!


No comments: