Monday 23 July 2007

Dope at University: Not Me

I see it is now fashionable for cabinet ministers to admit to smoking cannabis at University. Including our own Worcester Woman no less than the Home Secretary Jaqui Smith. When I wonder will it be fashionable for my own vice to reach such high levels of respectability. Yes I can now admit it, having studied at what was Wolverhampton Poly, I like a nice pint of Mild. Even Banks's can't bring themselves to call their famous beverage mild any longer preferring the epithet "Original". It is now time I think for us Mild lovers to come out of the closet. Yes let us proclaim we are "born to drink mild".

4 comments:

Neil said...

Why have Banks's stopped calling it Mild? Is it because Southerners, and Northerners, don't know what it is? And if they don't know what it is how can Wolves and Dud, or Marstons, as it's now known, take over the world?

BigWalk 2010 said...

please Nick, can you explain Why? Oh why? Does mild have to smell lick s*ck? I was a namby pamby southerner until I lived in Wolvo for 4 years and then worked in Langley Green (all hail Holts Entire) for 3 years (oh ar, day gew there) and now at reputable (?) Uni just outside Coventry, and able to ask such a question as an adoptive Midlander - why so smelly?
If Chablis smelt like this would anyone drink it?

Nick Matthews said...

Yo've been drinkin in the wrong pubs!

I do love Highgate Mild and hosted my fiftieth birthday party at the brewery in Walsall!

I also like Bathams and Holdens Milds. Hansons from Dudley was very good before Banks's did it in.

I fear that deep down you are a bitter man is Holt's still brewed ? Was it not produced in Wolves?

Langley Green is the home of Banks's Malt Houses thats probably why it smells of sick!

Anway yowm posh if yo like Chablis!

Dry White Wine all round aye!

stymaster said...

No, Holt, Plant and Deakin have gone. They were in Wolves.

It's a sad fact that Holts Entire is no more. I remember drinking it in a few pubs in the area back in the 90s.